Saturday 19 June 2010

Just a little something

So, I know it's not an outfit post, but I just came across something on the internet which kinda of made me think twice about things. I'm sure many of you are aware of the Suffragette movement in the early 20C in England. Votes for women and all that, I'm sure most of you (from the UK, anyway) will have learnt about it in school. Us women have these incredibly brave women to thank for our votes today, and they all deserve our respect. I'm sure many of you also have heard of Emily Davison dying at the Epsom Derby. She ran onto the racecourse in front of the king's hourse, was knocked to the ground and died soon after. She was holding one of the famous 'Votes For Women' banners and it is thought that her intention was to put it round the horse's neck. Amazingly, this piece of footage still exists:

(Sorry, I can't figure out how to embed a youtube video on here, so that is the link)

I know it's a very random thing, but this footage really does make you pause for a moment, it's shocking. Definite food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh! That video made me two things: really angry and really grateful (is that even possible?)! Angry because I can't believe she just sacrificed her life like that (well maybe no sacrificed, but just went onto the course like that!). Grateful because she definitely represents a generation of powerful women who fought for the rights we have today. And slightly disturbed because I just watched a woman basically get killed on a racetrack =(

    PS To embed a youtube video, all you have to do is get the embed code from the video (its in the info box below the videos, just a little button ) and copy that code. Then come back here and change your post settings from compose to edit html (its in the upper right hand corner) and paste the code! And, because youtube videos are kind of too big for the posting size, looking at the code you just pasted and in two spots you'll find something like width and height with numbers pasted after them. I change my numbers to w-400 and h-300. I hope that helped!

    ReplyDelete