Friday 20 August 2010

Friend Friday: Conspicuous Consumption

Every week, Katy of Modly Chic asks a set of questions which are pertinent to bloggers in any capacity. In the past she's asked questions about size, privacy, etc. This week we're all discussing conspicuous consumption.

NB. Conspicuous consumption: the acquisition and display of expensive items to attract attention to one's wealth or to suggest that one is wealthy.



Q. Do you think fashion blogs are often just conspicuous consumption? Are some?
In general, I would say no. There are, have been and (probably) always will be some blogs like that, but most bloggers are just normal people talking about their clothes. For me, I much prefer blogs and bloggers to whom I can relate. However, I do sometimes think (or imagine?? Who knows) that there is some kind of 'pressure' for bloggers to have some kind of unlimited wardrobe, so as not to repeat outfits. But of course, real life (for me, anyway) isn't like that!

Q. As bloggers, do we have the obligation to explain our personal financial status, how we pay for the things we showcase, if we have debt, etc...
I partly agree, but mostly disagree. I don't think we are obliged to reveal our finances. Like others have said answering this question, I've been brought up not to talk about finances, or to ask about other people's. If someone asks or there is a reason to tell a story about your finances, then I think it is one's responsibility to speakr as truthfully as possible, but some things are just private I think, sorry. However, I don't think we should pretend that we just have a bottomless pit of money to spend on clothes or whatever, otherwise we can ourselves become very materialistic and consume far too much. More on this in a later question...

Q. Critics often say that fashion bloggers should use their money to support more worthwhile causes than clothing themselves in a different outfit daily. What's your reaction to this?
I would say to those people that they shouldn't judge everyone with their negative viewpoint, and that it's none of their business what I do with my money! I use this blog as a kind of 'escape' from everyday life. I don't talk about every aspect of my life on here, and I know many bloggers who are the same, so how does anyone know about any charity work that we may do? I shouldn't have to justify myself or how I spend my hard earned money to anyone, sorry.

Q. Since you started blogging, do you spend more money on fashion and beauty products?
In truth, now, I don't no. However, I did begin going down a slippery slope about a year ago. I was only reading fashion blogs, not even owning my own blog yet, but I spent a lot of money on clothes. Clothes I saw on blogs, clothes I saw in shops, on the internet, anything that took my fancy, I bought it. Half of the stuff I bought this year I've recently donated to charity in my twice-yearly wardrobe clearout. I am now in a slightly precarious financial situation, with no debt as such, but some potential problems in regards to not being able to afford food or rent at university next year. I only realised earlier this week how bad my financial situation is. Relative to others, it's not terrible, I only had a year of irresponsibility, but my actions can never be taken back, I can never get my money back, and I've been wasteful and materialistic. I've had quite a difficult year in other senses, and really was just buying things to make myself feel better. And some of the worst part of it is that I was in denial about the whole thing!

In the last few months I've been much stricter with my purchases, restricting myself greatly, relative to what I used to, and saving as much money as possible in order to not let this situation get worse. Really, I'm back to where I was before I started reading blogs. I'm really disappointed with myself and angry at how stupid I've been, and I hope none of you have to go through the stresses of not having enough money to cover your rent. Trust me when I say that no item of clothing is worth not having anywhere to live.

Q. Life is about more than what money can buy. What are the things that top your list of what life is all about?
I like this question, it's lovely, I love hearing about the important things in people's lives, and explaining my own, too. The things on the top of my list of what life is about are my family, friends, as well as music and dance.

Hope you all enjoyed Friend Friday this week! Any comments, please write to me!

Currently listening to: Violin Sonata in A major by Cesar Franck

4 comments:

  1. Loved reading your answers! I had no idea you went through such a tough time, but I'm glad you've come out of it now :)

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved reading your answers. Thanks for being so frank about your financial situation. I know you aren't the first (nor the last) person to go through something like that, but it's so great you got yourself out of that. It just goes to show fashion bloggers come from all walks of life, what is important is responsibility (not because of a blog, but for personal reasons!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies, I'm glad you enjoyed my answers. I didn't make a fuss about my financial situation, because I don't usually broadcast things like that online, however with the questions this week talking about what they were, I felt it was a good time to 'come clean' and hopefully avoid anyone else making the same mistakes I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, just discovered your blog through the Friend Friday series - love it :)

    Your answers are so pertinent. Definitely think there is a degree of pressure and it can sometimes be difficult not to cave to that pressure when you are constantly being bombarded with pretty new things on other blogs.

    You were brave to be so honest about your financial situation - thank you for sharing.

    Will definitely be checking in on your blog now :)

    ReplyDelete