Friday 10 September 2010

Friend Friday: New York Fashion Week

Every week, Katy from Modly Chic asks a bunch of bloggers a bunch of questions.  Previous topics have included things like size, copycat fashion and privacy.  Go to her site to see all the previous topics and what everyone else has said about this week's topic!



Katy has set this week's topic as New York Fashion Week.  Not living in New York, or even the US, I thought this might be a tricky one to answer, but in fact her questions are universal for everyone, no matter where they live :)

Fashion week began yesterday in NYC at its new venue of the Lincoln Centre, and it's only a week until the excitement comes to London.   So, let's get started:

1) Do you pay attention to the show during Fashion Week?  Which designer's collections are you looking forward to seeing?
I do pay attention to fashion week, only in as much as I like to see pretty clothes.  It's unlikely you'll ever catch me going into a shop and saying 'oh that looks so much like a miumiu s/s 08 rip off', cause I just don't follow the runway shows that much. However, I'll always be interested in a bit of YSL, Chanel, Burberry and Prada.  I'm actually quite interested to see where they're going to go after such beautiful A/W '10 collections.

2) Where are you getting your Fashion Week news from?
Like most people's answers I've read so far, I'll be getting my news from Twitter and other people's blogs.  So many blogs I follow are going to LFW this year, so I'm really excited to see everyone's news! I would like to go in person at some point, but that might have to wait for another couple of years...

3) Over the years, the runway has become more than just models displaying the creations of a designer. They are now spectacles.  Do you think this adds or detracts from the fashion?
I've always thought of fashion as a kind of 'art with cloth' kind of thing.  Therefore, I'm really in favour of having all this other stuff going on while the clothes are going down the runway.  It means that the show is just that, a show.  It also gives the designers a chance to put their clothes into a context, be that a context of their inspiration or a context of what/where they'd like to clothes to be.  It also means that there's less of a focus on the models, which I'm not sure what I think of, but I think I like it.  It means they're part of the show, rather than being the focus of the show.

4) Twice a year, as models begin to strut the catwalk we see articles about model size and body image.  Do you think the super thin models are offering an attainable goal to the public or are we immune to their looks?
Often a controversial topic, this one.  I think people are starting to lose interest in this debate.  Every season, a few designers have a few 'normal' women walk down their runway, as an exception, and usually just as a publicity stunt.  Additionally, I don't think the models have that big an impact on everyday women.  Unless you spend your days looking and pouring over runway pics, then you're not going to be exposed to these tiny models in everyday life on a daily basis.  More concerning is the size of the models used in catalogues, online shopping, etc. because that's what most women see more regularly.

5) If you could sit front row at any show, what would you want to see?  And which celebrity would you like to sit next to?
For LFW, it would be Burberry. Across all Fashion Weeks, I'd choose Chanel, though.  I always like 90% of what goes down those runways (I draw the line at yeti boots from the A/W '10, for example) and I love the spectacle that goes with it: Icebergs etc. Fabulous!  As far as a celebrity to sit next to, I'd probably pick Emma Watson, because she just seems like a nice girl, nice a relaxed about the entire thing.


Hope you enjoyed this week's Friend Friday, as always, any ideas/replies on what I've written, leave a comment :)  Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment