Friday 17 September 2010

Friend Friday: Work vs. Blog Wear

Every week, Katy from Modly Chic sends a bunch of bloggers a bunch of questions pertinent to us all in some way or another.  Read hers and everyone else's responses on her blog! Hope you enjoy!

So, this week, we're talking about blog/work wear.  In her email, Katy asked 'How many times have you looked at a post and thought the blogger was adorable but probably wore the outfit only to take pictures and post to the blog?'

1)  When it comes to outfit posts on your own blog, be honest, are they actually what you wore that day?
Yes, absolutely! Sometimes it's a few days behind, so it's not what I'm wearing that actual day, but I wore whatever I posted all day. I don't ever really show my shoes because I haven't mastered fitting the whole of myself top to toe in a frame yet (I know, shameful blogging! I am working on it, promise!) but I wear the same shoes all day too!

2) For a fashion blogger, working in a corporate environment can be tricky.  How do you mesh your day job with your fashion choices?
I'm quite lucky, because this question doesn't apply to me really, because I'm a student!  I do have certain times when a dress code is necessary, for example when I perform in concerts I must wear smart clothes, with my various choirs it's usually an all-black dress code, but in my day to day life I can wear whatever the hell I want!  Of course, I never go around in jogging bottoms or anything of the sort, so I think most of the things I wear are office appropriate anyway, with some minor variations!

3) When you get dressed in the morning, do you think what should I wear to work, or what should I wear for the blog?
I always dress for myself. I've never been one to wear things because of, or for, other people.  This is easier because I don't have a job so I am never 'restricted' by a dress code.

4) Do professionals you interact with ever make comments about your clothing choices?
Yes, they do.  I guess for a young person I can sometimes look a bit older as a result of my clothes, or just a bit over-dressed (I always prefer to overdress than be under-dressed - my worst nightmare!).  I'm pleased to say that most of the time people are very complimentary about my clothes :)

5) Some bloggers openly admit to wearing outfits only for the blog post.  What's your opinion on that?
Personally, I don't find it that much of a crime, however it depends on the blog itself, and what I read it for.  Some blogs I just read for 'artistic' inspiration and others I read for actual 'real life' inspiration, eg. remixing items, DIYs etc.  I do think though, that there should be a distinction between the 2.  So, if you show something on your blog that you would never wear outside (like a costume-type outfit) then you should say so, in my opinion.  It's like the difference between couture shows and ready-to-wear shows, if that analogy makes sense?

What are your thoughts on my answers to these questions?  And if you're interested head over to Katy's blog to see what others have said too!

Currently listening to: Phillip Glass: Glassworks.

3 comments:

  1. Nice answers to the questions! Glad I found your blog! Following you, follow back :)

    Hugs,
    http://achameleonscloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i totally agree with your final point, well everything you said, but that in particular. there is definitely a difference between what you would wear in real life and what you would post on your blog.
    i dont see that theres anything wrong with posting an outfit that your didnt wear that day, its about showing your style, thats all that counts in my mind! heh x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answers, as always! I also agree especially with your final point.

    I said this on grit and glamour's blog as well, but I think the most successful bloggers are also the ones who are truest to themselves - I think for personal style bloggers, that includes being true to your own aesthetic.

    ReplyDelete